Dim Sum Diaries
I have my ass glued to the computer chair and my ear glued to the front window, waiting for the fedex truck to pick up my packages so I can get on with my life. Maybe I should hire a receptionist so she can sit in the foyer and wait for said truck to appear...make me tea...and also field my calls? :p

Anyways, here are some thoughts for the day and neat things from etsy...

Frank Chimero writes about pseudo-structures, when there is a creative challenge (or even irl I imagine), breaking things down into components, or following certain rules can make tackling it a bit easier...



Many of the greats used pseudo-structures. Vivaldi wrote four violin concertos: one for each season. Shakespeare’s sonnets follow a specific rhyming scheme and are always 14 lines. During Picasso’s blue period, he essentially only painted monochromatically. There’s many more.

The restrictions in a pseudo-structure can take many shapes. They can be conceptual, where the restrictions determine the subject matter of the work. (Write a song for each one of the muses. Create an illustration for each letter of the alphabet. Write a short story inspired by each member of the Jackson 5.) They can also be structural, where compositional restrictions are created. (Paint on surfaces that are 3 inches wide and 24 inches tall. Write a 14-line sonnet. Choreograph a dance, where the dancer doesn’t step outside a 6×6’ square) Or instrumental, where the tools are deliberately crippled. (Paint monochromatically. Write without pronouns. Write a song on a mistuned guitar.)


Next up, some lovely items from Maryink I'll probably indulge in very soon...

Arcadia Votive candleholders.



French Copy Ad Tee



Brown Acorn and Flower Scarf...



And finally this to chew on for the day, The 50 Most Loathsome People of 2008.