Dim Sum Diaries
Well dear readers, things seem to have changed again lately...maybe its because I'm getting old?

Daughter is now 10 and navigating the murky tween almost teen years is a learning experience for both of us. Fourth grade seems to be a rough year for many (I remember it being that way for me). But Daughter has always been somewhat sensitive, and with dealing with social issues, academic pressures, popularity and the like, her ability to cope with and manage stress is something we've been working on lately. She'd been complaining of ongoing headaches (for a few days), which put me in supercharged mode....first I called my Mom in a panic...

"Mom! How did I deal with stress when I was that age???"

"Well, you pretty much didn't give a shit about popularity or what anyone said about you back then. It didn't faze you. Being a bull in a china shop has its benefits."

Gee thanks Mom! But she did reassure me that everything was okay and how I should approach the problem calmly. So I tried, and then I called Daughter's pediatrician and made an appointment regarding her headaches. Dr. Hogen has known P since she was a wee one and actually has daughters who are almost the same age. During the doc visit, he was able to tell her about his own daughter's experiences in 4th grade and being sensitive, that it'd be okay, to talk things out with your parents when things bother you etc etc etc. Reassured both of us I think. Thanks Dr. Hogen, btw. :) There was a possible allergy issue and the possible need for glasses, which now seems to have helped (taking Zyrtec and getting glasses for classroom use). Things seem to have calmed down now for her, so I'm glad.

The thing is that your so used to being a mom one way, which consists of changing diapers and feeding the kids and reading them bedtime stories...when they get older and their needs change, man ITS A WHOLE NEW BALLGAME. Dr. Hogen did recommend two books which I find really helpful, Raising Your Spirited Child Rev Ed: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka and The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them by Elaine Aron. Not all of it applies to me (thankfully) but it is nice to know that other parents go through the same things I do.

Cool things I've found around the web lately:

Chocolate and Zucchini is a food blog by a Clotilde Dusoulier, a Parisienne who writes the most lovely things about food. I'll have to add her to my list of reads whenever I get around to updating the website.

I'm still in love with Etsy, the initial love affair has died down so I'm not as prone to spending huge amounts of money (shh don't tell Hubby) on various vintage finds and handmade bits and bobs I find on there. I'm thinking I'll post a Pet The Pretty Things once in awhile to showcase what I really like, and also the OMFG PEOPLE ACTUALLY TRY TO SELL THIS CRAP things. Working freelance has opened my eyes to all sorts of indie things that I really adore. I can't really define it but if I keep posting shit the you'll see what I mean.

In the meantime, here are a couple of items that I think are cool:


Shaybelle designs and sews some lovely clothes that are awesome and she has a store on Etsy.

Also these cards are kinda cool and offbeat...



I must try to slip some of these into various correspondences in the future....