It is less then two weeks until I attain dear, old dotty thing status (birthday). Quite depressing, hopefully with time and help (therapy, drugs, massive shopping binge, etc) I will become used to it.
Found a neat Chicken & Mushroom Pie recipe from Pewari's site. Tried it last night and it came out very well! Pretty easy to make and the kids really liked it. I am shamelessly republishing it here (thanks Pewari!).
Chicken and Mushroom Pie
295g can of condensed mushroom soup ½ of the above emptied can full of milk 3 chicken breasts, diced 150g closed cup mushrooms, quartered 1 tbsp olive oil a sheet of ready rolled puff pastry a bit more milk to brush on the top
1. Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F Gas Mark 7)
2. Fry the diced chicken in a pan with the olive oil for around 5 minutes then add the mushrooms and fry for 5 minutes more.
3. Add the soup and the milk, stir in well and heat for a couple of minutes.
4. Pour contents into a 1.2L (2 pint) pie dish.
5. Stick pastry on top, cut around edges so that it matches the shape of the pie dish and either chuck away the spare or use it to create pretty patterns on the top if you’re feeling flush with time and creativity. Put a little hole in the top, press edges with a fork to seal and brush with milk.
5. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.
6. Serve with new or mashed potatoes and lots of veg.
I used Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Mustroom soup. For the shrooms, I got a fresh portabello mushroom (just one since kids aren't that big on mushrooms) and diced into tiny bits. Also sauteed diced garlic and onion until it was carmelized so it had a nice flavor to it. Still working on the "making the puff pastry pretty" bit, but it overall it came out well.
I was trying to think of recipes I could post to the blog as well...but we're a take out family. I don't cook that often anymore, sadly.
* * *
So went to local bookstore to get my copy of Music and Lyrics soundtrack. Whilst there, also got the latest Hello magazine to check out the exclusive pics of Elizabeth Hurley's wedding. And luckily I did...because guess what I saw???? Another awesome movie which premieres in the UK first...
Becoming Jane, a movie that chronicles Jane Austen's life is not coming out in the U.S. till August 7, 2007. Beautiful glorious trailer that makes me cry with happiness: