Dim Sum Diaries
You know I really do try. I am well aware that I am emotionally reactive...for at least 5-7 days (and two weeks beforehand). I don't like being a bitch, but sometimes...I guess I can't help it. Case in point:

So I told myself, Self, since you are emotionally reactive, don't be. Be the epitome of sweetness and light. Don't react to crazy ass situations. But then guess what happens, a crazy ass situation occurs. I go to my dentist office to have my teeth cleaned. The hygenist, Gigi (aka nut job) begins to clean my teeth and tries to make conversation.

"So what nationality are you?" she asked.

"I'm Chinese," I try to mumble.

For some reason, she looks surprised. "Are you sure? No way! You have some American in you don't you?"

"No, I'm pretty sure I'm Chinese."

"But you have eyelashes!" she exclaimed.

I wasn't sure what to say to that so I just grunted.

"Do you hate Japanese people?" she wanted to know.

"No," I say firmly. "Why would I hate Japanese people? Maybe some of the older generation during the Japanese invasion of China..."

"Oh yeah...all you guys hate each other. Frankly, I can't tell you apart. You all look the same to me. And I can't understand why people always get mad when I say that."

I quieted down and she must have sensed I was mad because she got quiet and was very brusque after that.

After the exam (which I chose not to say anything because she had a giant meat hook she was using to clean my teeth), I asked to speak to the dentist for a moment. I don't know if he thought I was trying to get him alone for a moment because I had some nefarious motive. Finally I told him, "Yeah you know GiGi thinks that all Asians look the same and that I'm not Chinese apparently because I have eyelashes."

He looked blankly at me for a moment.

"I don't need to hear stuff like that about Asians," I continued. "Seriously, its not professional."

After a few minutes, he shook his head. "Is that a direct quote?"

"Uh yes. Remember I've been your patient for five years and I sent you a fruit basket last year? Remember me? Your bread and butter?"

He still didn't seem to believe me. "I'll talk to her."

Yeah I hope he does, cuz I don't feel comfortable with GiGi the nutjob hygenist. I called Hubby and told him...he was laughing so hard for like 5 minutes. Seriously...I try to be calm...and then I get thrust into a situation like this...

Deep sigh...