Dim Sum Diaries

Mir Deems Today Happy Unofficial Grandparents/In-Laws Day


Sigh. Today's blog entry is dedicated to my in-laws. I really have to hand it to them. I suppose there are certain situations (very limited) in which one could possibly consider that I, Mir, am a very demanding person. Throw in an absent-minded Hubby and two kids and you've got a very interesting mix.

So my darling daughter gets to go to summer day camp this week. She is very excited about it because it is a cool summer day camp (because I am a cool Mom who sends her kids to cool summer day camps). So I call my father-in-law (FIL) this morning.

"So FIL, you are taking P (my daughter) to camp today, eh?" I say.

"No," he said. "J (aka absent-minded Hubby, his son) is taking her."

"Oh," I said. "I thought you were supposed to take her. Let me call you back."

I frantically call Hubby. "Why are you taking P to camp? FIL is supposed to take P to camp!"

"Oh," says Hubby casually. "Did I mention that I'm driving P to camp? Where is it by the way?"

"Damn it!" I say urgently. "Its 25 minutes away from where you are! How are you going to get to work on time???"

"Oh," he said contritely. "I guess I should have told you."

"Well, you better go humbly ask FIL to take P then."

"Fine."

So I wait 10 minutes for Hubby to drop P off at FIL's house, then call Hubby again.

"So how did it go?" I asked him.

"Not good," he said grimly. "They're mad at me."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because FIL wasn't even dressed and he has to drive a long ass distance. And then I parked on the right side of the driveway. When MIL (his mom, my mother-in-law) tried to back out of the garage (which was on the left side), in trying to avoid my car, she angled too far to the left and tore the driver's side mirror off."

Oops. So me, in a frantic rush, call the YMCA, who is sponsoring the camp to find out we have about 15 minutes of wiggle room to show up before camp really starts.

I call FIL on his cell phone (which he finally turns on).

"Hi FIL," I say humbly. "Thanks for driving P to camp. I'd like to take you and MIL out to dinner out tonight to thank you for doing all this driving. And for watching the kids."

"Oh, I think that's a good idea," FIL says ominiously.