Dim Sum Diaries
I've been feeling a bit under the weather lately. All I want to do is burrow under the covers and lie abed all day. Of course, with two rambunctious children its pretty much impossible.

So yesterday I managed to catch a snooze when the children were napping. The telephone rings and I sleepily pick it up.

"Lo," I muttered.

"Hello!" my Dad said jovially. "Do you want to go to your sister's house and meet us for dinner?" The static-y crackle of his cell phone was very pronounced, making it necessary to talk loudly. I tried to wake up my sleep-fogged brain to process this latest piece of information.

"Sure," I replied.

"Mom has some stuff she needs to give you."

"Okay, tell Mom to bring down the pants she hemmed for me, okay?" I asked.

"What?"

"The PANTS!" I repeated.

"WHAT?"

"The PANTS!!!" I repeated even more loudly. Maybe if I switched to Cantonese, then he would understand I was saying. I paused for a moment, trying to remember the word for pants. "THE DUI-FOO!!!!" I said, then cursed when I realized I'd said underwear instead of pants.

"WHAT?"

"I mean, FOO! THE PANTS! YOU KNOW THE KIND YOU WEAR!!"

"Oh," my Dad finally said. "I thought you said tent. Okay, I'll tell her."

I sighed. Even though its completely obvious that were I fully awake, my fluency in Cantonese would rival the language skills of a U.N. language translator (yeah right), this is what happens when you don't speak Chinese for extended periods of time.