Dim Sum Diaries
Sometimes I wonder how successful I will be in transmitting elements of Chinese culture to my kids.

Here is a list of my efforts so far:

1) Chinese Food. Lots of It. I try to visit my parents as often as possible in order to let my children be exposed to various Chinese restaurants. So much so that my daughter told someone the other day, "I love chicken feet! Its so soft and squishy!" What a good girl she is.

2) Use of Chinese children's videos (actually DVDs) purchased by my parents during their last Hong Kong trip. Apparently there is this little pig called McDull, which is the Chinese version of Barney. Since my reading/writing skills in Chinese are probably kindergarten level, it is no surprise that I think that this video is the funniest shit I have seen in a long time. However, when I try to explain it to my daughter, it is a different story.

"Mommy, why are you laughing so hard? What is McDull saying?" my daughter inquires.

"Oh, its so funny! You see, McDull is ordering this chicken dish in the restaurant and the waiter says they don't have it, but he keeps ordering the same dish! And..." I stop when she stares at me like I'd grown a second head. "Never mind."

3) Teaching my kids all the vocabulary I know.

"Okay, let's go through all the colors now!" I declare.

"Mommy, what's purple in Chinese again?" my daughter asks.

"Oh crap, I forgot. I have to ask your grandma again."

On the plus side of being Americanized, I make an effort to give the kiddies lots of hugs and kisses and to praise them when they do well. Its the odd times that I find myself acting "more Chinese" and repeating the lectures and platitudes my parents raised me with. Ah, the joys of bi-racial parenting (made so much more joyful by an understanding and enlightened hubby :b).