Dim Sum Diaries
One Saturday as I was taking my daughter to the local YMCA for her swim lesson, I caught a glimpse of a "Mommy/Daddy & Me" swim class. It was comprised of a group of 30 parents and kids (under age 2). The parents were singing "Old McDonald Had A Farm" at the top of their voice, while puppeteering their children in the coordinating dance moves. Apparently they were enjoying it. At the end of the song, many squealed, "Yay!!!!!!!" to their kid, as if the kid had just performed brain surgery of something. Many onlookers stared at this class either in amusement or horror. I was of the latter. OH. MY. GOD. Who in their right mind would do that??? Not me, I told myself.

Yesterday, I realized that my children were growing up. My daughter is 5 years old and she learned how to ride a bike without training wheels only after two days. My son, who is 2.5 years old, is going through potty training. Last night he sat on the toilet and made an honest attempt to "do it". He ended up peeing on my pants leg because he didn't know how to aim, but at least he tried. I was jumping for joy.

"Yay, you peed...on Mommy's leg! Good boy!" I exclaimed. "Next time try to aim down, okay?"

While changing out of my pee-laden pants, I realized that the love you have for your children takes many shapes and forms. You are willing to endure things for their sake that you wouldn't take from anyone else. Whether it be loudly singing the Barney song in the pool in front of a live audience or having your pants pissed upon, you well up with emotion when you realize how much you love the little beings that were created by you.