Dim Sum Diaries

Am I A Twinkie or a Banana?


I'm sure many people would say, "Yes, you are! Both!" Ha ha. But I mean it in the sense that I may be yellow (Chinese) outwardly, but am totally American-ized (white) on the inside. I don't have too many opportunities to speak Chinese. Except with my parents and a few attempts to teach my kids (did I mention I have two kids?) some phrases and counting. Kid #1 (henceforth known as #1) is now teaching my Caucasian husband to speak Chinese! My attempt to pass my heritage to my kids will probably consist of exposure to my parents and their environment, taking them to Chinese restaurants and the implicit transmission of the Chinese work ethic (go to college and get good grades and get a good job!). Anyway, enough of this soliloquy stuff.

I just heard about a new special on PBS with Bill Moyers titled "Becoming American: The Chinese Experience" which airs on March 25, 2003. It chronicles the experiences of Chinese-Americans individually and as a whole through the last century. For more information, this is the website.

A movie I am keen to see is "Bend It Like Beckham". It is in limited release as of March 12, so I'm going to try and see it when I can. It is a story of an Indian girl (who lives in Britain) whose soccer-playing dreams clash with the plans her traditional Indian family has in mind. The trailer is quite funny.

Vignette Du Jour

Angry Little Asian Girl - I find her quite amusing.